Thursday, November 11, 2010

Charlie Loro Galas' Story

Only three years ago Charlie Loro Galas was homeless and addicted to drugs. Now he is leading 36 fellow Kaibigans, friends, in the construction of CCT’s Tagaytay Retreat and Training Center.
Dressed in conspicuous yellow overalls, Charlie described his previous ordeals in between directing his team. ‘I lived on the streets of Manila for three years, committing burglaries and armed robberies to survive. I was addicted to rugby (solvents), which helped ease the pains of my constant hunger. People used to be scared of me, but for the first time I can remember, people accept me and I have many friends. I am very happy.”

CCT met Charlie in 2007 through their streetside outreach program. After he took the major step of accepting their help and dedicating himself to change, CCT began his rehabilitation. They taught him how to again cope in society and to treat people compassionately. 
Charlie began vocational training in construction in 2008 and in August 2010 he moved to Tagaytay. “Everything I have is because of CCT, they make me feel at home. I thank God every day.”



No comments:

Post a Comment